Date(s) - 04/01/2016 - 04/03/2016
University of Central Florida
The 2016 NAGPS Southeast Regional Conference University of Central Florida
Developing a professional network through graduate advocacy
The Southeast Regional Board of the National Association of Graduate-Professional Students (NAGPS) would like to welcome you to the 2016 Southeast Regional Conference at University of Central Florida, Orlando! Conference Facebook event page – https://www.facebook.com/events/163402140709340/
This is a great opportunity to meet and network with fellow graduate student leaders from the Southeast region – Alabama, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, U. S. Virgin Islands, Virginia.
This year’s conference theme focuses on developing a professional network through graduate advocacy. We are working hard to organize a memorable graduate student conference experience for you. So, REGISTER NOW and submit an abstract for student presentations.
Please don’t hesitate to ask questions to the SE regional chair Andrew George (firstname.lastname@example.org) and/or the conference chair (email@example.com). We are looking forward to meet with you!
SE Conference Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org)
[tabgroup] [tab title=Register ] [headline]Registration Fees[/headline]
Member and Non-Member: $35
Registration fee includes:
- conference attendance
- meals (Friday and Saturday)
- promotional items
[tab title=Accomodation ] [headline]Accommodations[/headline]
Name: La Quinta Inn & Suites Orlando UCF
Address: 11805 Research Pkwy, Orlando, FL 32826
Note: Attendees need to call and ask for UCF discount when making their reservation. There is 12% discount that will be applied.
[tab title=Checklist] [headline]Checklist[/headline]
- Please Review all the Tabs for detailed information about registration and contributing to the conference.
- Register for the Conference
- Book your hotel
- Submit your Abstract for student presentations (topics listed in the submissions tab)
- NAGPS Members: Nominate someone or yourself for the Southeast Regional Board
- NAGPS Members: Submit a Bid to host the 2017 Southeast Regional Conference
[/tab] [tab title=Elections ] [headline]Executive Board Elections[/headline]
Interested in being more involved in NAGPS? Why not start with a regional board position? Elections will be held during the regional business meeting for the following positions (full description of positions here):
-Director of Outreach
-Director of Legislative Affairs
-Director of Communications & Administration
-Employment Concerns Chair
-Social Justice Chair
-International Student Concerns Chair
During the business meeting of the conference, elections for regional board will take place. For each position, each candidate will get the chance to give a 3 minute “campaign speech” followed by question and answer session by the membership. Afterwards, a closed discussion and closed vote will determine who is elected. (NOTE: Regional Chair positions are elected at the National Conference).
If you have any questions or want to run for a position but cannot attend the business meeting please contact the Southeast Regional Chair, Andrew George at email@example.com:
Self-nominations are encouraged!
Nominate Here [/tab]
[tab title=Conference Bid] [headline]
Bids for the 2017 Southeast Regional Conference
If you are interested in hosting the 2017 Southeast Regional Conference, you must submit a letter of intent to the NAGPS Executive Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org) AND Regional Chair (email@example.com) before the regional conference, April 1, 2016. This letter shall provide two important elements: (1) approval of the graduate-professional student organization (GPSO) to host the regional conference; this can include approval from your GPSO, Dean, or Administrator, and (2) a named Director of Regional Conference to coordinate planning and volunteers of the regional conference (the Director must be a member of the host organization).
After submitting the letter, you would present your bid proposal to the membership at the 2016 Regional Conference. Please limit your presentation to no more than 10 minutes and 10 slides. Click here for an example bid. The presentation shall include, but is not limited to:
- Dates of conference (must occur between March 1st and April 30th)
- Location and member organization overview
- Meeting facilities
- Projected budget
- Projected expenses for an attending organization
- Name of the Director of Regional Conference
- Required assistance from the Association
Time will be allotted for questions on each proposal. After all regional bid presentations have concluded, there may be a closed discussion followed by a vote of the membership. The majority vote of the regional membership will elect the host institution for the 2017 Regional Conference.
Host institutions shall secure funding for the conference. It is the responsibility of the host school to lead fundraising efforts. All fundraising and other partners must be submitted to the Board of Directors, which reserves the right to reject any partnership. Host institutions shall adhere to the NAGPS Constitution, Bylaws, and Standard Operating Procedures. All approved written and verbal communications to host the conference are binding.
For more information or questions, please contact the Vice President, M. Scout Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
[tab title=Schedule] [headline]Schedule[/headline]
April 1st, 2016 (Friday)
- 5:00pm: Check-in at University of Central Florida
- 6:00pm: Welcome address and opening session
- 7:30pm: Welcome dinner and social (venue TBA)
April 2nd, 2016 (Saturday)
- 9:00am: Breakfast
- 9:15am: NAGPS introductory session
- 10:00am: Break
- 10:30am: Keynote addresses
- 11:30am: Lunch
- 1:00pm: Session I (student presentations)
- 2:00pm: Break
- 2:30pm: Session II (student presentations)
- 3:30pm: Break
- 4:00pm: Business meeting and SE regional elections
- 5:15pm: Break
- 5:30pm: Closing remarks and awards ceremony
- 6:30pm: Dinner and social (venue TBA)
April 3rd, 2016 (Sunday)
- 9:00am: New SE regional board meeting
- Departure at your convenience
[headline]Call for Presentations[/headline]
NAGPS regional conferences serve as a forum where student leaders from the region come together to share best practices, learn about national platforms, and grow in their understanding of issues relevant to graduate students in the Southeast. As such, we invite each school that will attend the conference to present for 30 minutes, about an issue relevant to graduate student government and graduate student life. Topics can be as varied as:
- Increasing Leadership Capital
- Increasing Advocacy Activities
- The importance of Collaborative Capital Activism, volunteerism, and service Graduate funding
- Graduate student leadership
- Health, wellness, and student welfare
- Professional development and networking
Submit Your Abstract [/tab][/tabgroup]
If you have any questions please contact Andrew George by email at email@example.com