On October 31st at the 29th National Conference, NAGPS membership ratified the following advocacy platform:
- NAGPS supports the rights of students to decide to organize, and supports the efforts of students to unionize at their individual universities.
- NAGPS supports the rights of student workers, including: support for a living wage, support for fair employment practices, and support for nondiscriminatory hiring practices. NAGPS supports the recognition of graduate student workers as productive employees of their member institutions.
- NAGPS supports the right of graduate students to access worker’s compensation in the event of accident or injury while pursuing educational goals
International Student Concerns
- NAGPS supports the rights outlined in our legislative platform for international students.
- NAGPS supports international students’ rights to feel secure and welcomed by the culture of their institutions.
- NAGPS supports nondiscrimination against international students on the issues of housing and employment
- NAGPS supports the right of international students to be free from coercion or bullying in issues of employment. International students should have the right to fair hours and the ability to visit their home countries.
On Campus Concerns
- NAGPS supports the right to affordable education for graduate students, including fees and tuition that are fair and reasonable and financially supported by their institutions.
- NAGPS supports the rights of graduate student parents, including parental leave and access to affordable childcare.
- NAGPS supports the right of students to leaves of absence for personal support, including; family leave, bereavement leave, leave for caretakers, and medical leaves of absence.
- NAGPS supports access to affordable healthcare and comprehensive coverage, including coverage for international students.
- NAGPS supports extension of benefits to graduate and professional students that are currently exclusively offered to undergraduate students to the extent to which those benefits are relevant to the graduate and professional student population.
- NAGPS supports open communication between students and administrators about the rights and responsibilities of graduate and professional students.
- NAGPS supports the rights of students who are victims of sexual assault and relationship violence, including rights to due process.
- NAGPS supports policies of affirmative consent, including but not limited to policies of “Yes Means Yes”
- NAGPS supports the rights of diverse students to be free from discrimination; including but not limited to students of color, students of all sexual orientation, gender identity, and students of diverse identities.
- NAGPS supports the right of students to free speech and advocacy, recognizing the important contributions of graduate students to issues of diversity and fair treatment of people of color, fair hourly wages, and issues of immigration, among others.
- NAGPS supports the right of students to academic freedom and right of expression, free from censorship.