When graduate & professional students come together in NAGPS, we have power – the power to enhance our well-being, improve graduate & professional student life, and support favorable educational laws and policies. Explore NAGPS to see how you can get involved and make a difference in your community and in your own life.
NAGPS facilitates member schools’ engagement in political advocacy by providing resources, networking opportunities, and strategies to train members how to professionally advocate for graduate and professional education on campuses and in legislatures. As a registered 501(c)(3) with the Internal Revenue Service, the Association’s lobby to elected officials may not exceed more than twenty percent (20%) of our activity. Thus through the Legislative Concerns Committee, we work with our member schools to establish their advocacy efforts and monitor legislation to ensure graduate and professional students have a voice in the political process.
Our Legislative Action Days and Advocacy Summit, held bi-annually, enable students to come to Washington, DC and learn about the political process, meet with their elected officials and staff and network with policy experts. NAGPS is a non-partisan organization; we engage in dialogue with government and elected officials from all political parties.
If you have met with a government official about topics of concern to graduate students, please submit an Advocacy Report Form to keep us updated.
Open Call for Legislative Concerns Committee Members!
Please contact the Director of Legislative Affairs if you are interested in joining the NAGPS Legislative Concerns Committee. The activities of the committee are as follows:
- Monthly teleconferences with the committee to report in and share any legislative issues that may present themselves
- Assisting with keeping track of what is happening on Capitol Hill so NAGPS can provide timely responses
- Assisting the development of white papers, lobbying leave-behind materials, and resolutions for current and future issues
- Working with the NAGPS Regional Chairs to help jump start advocacy efforts at NAGPS member universities
- Assisting with planning for NAGPS bi-annual Legislative Action Days in Washington, D.C.
Director of Legislative Affairs