Date(s) - 27/09/2014 - 30/09/2014
Graduate and professional education has never been more important for our nation and yet it faces so many challenges. The time to tell our story is now. Congress will not act on these issues until we make our voices heard in Washington. Your story is powerful and collectively we can have an impact. Join us for our Legislative Action Days on September 27-30, 2014.[headline]Fall 2014 Legislative Priorities[/headline]
At LAD this Fall, we will focus on four main issues:
Graduate Student Loans/Debt
We urge our members of Congress to support legislation that would:
- Reunify the undergraduate and graduate rates to reverse the current inequalities
- Reinstate graduate-professional students’ eligibility for subsidized loans
Higher Education Funding
We urge our members of Congress to support legislation that:
- Increases and sustains research funding to the NSF, NIH, national labs, and other federal research agencies to account for budget caps and sequestration cuts
- Reinstates and ensures future NSF funding for all types of political science research
- Restores funding for the Javits and GAANN fellowship programs to $39 million
We urge our members of Congress to support legislation that ensures public access to research that has been funded through taxpayer dollars. Specifically, we ask that they support and co-sponsor:
- H.R. 708 – Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR) [bipartisan]
- S. 350 – Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR) [bipartisan]
We also urge them to support legislation that makes textbooks more affordable for students. Specifically, we ask that they support and co-sponsor:
- H.R. 3538 – Affordable College Textbook Act
We urge our members of Congress to support a bipartisan approach to immigration reform. Specifically, we ask that they support legislation that:
- Allow for domestic re-validation of F-type student visas
- Increases the number of visas and green cards available to non-US born graduate and professional students
The Fall Legislative Action Days (LADs) is free for NAGPS members
Non- member registration: $50.00
The recommended hotel for the event is:
**All LAD training on Saturday and Sunday will be done at the conference hotel.
Crystal City Marriott at Reagan National Airport
1999 Jefferson Davis Highway Arlington VA 22202
NAGPS has secured a nightly rate of $139/night from 9/26-9/30 if booked by 9/12/14.
The hotel can be reserved at the special rate online here or at http://www.marriott.com/meeting-event-hotels/group-corporate-travel/groupCorp.mi?resLinkData=NAGPS%20Advocacy%20Summit/LAD%20Sep2014%20Rebuild%5EWASCC%60NAGNAGA%60139.00%60USD%60false%609/26/14%609/30/14%609/12/14&app=resvlink&stop_mobi=yes[/tab] [tab title=Schedule ]
**All LAD training on Saturday and Sunday will be done at the conference hotel.[/tab] [tab title=Leave-Behinds]
Please review these documents before arriving in Washington DC. These are the documents we will be presenting to legislators that state our position on the legislation we are advocating for.
- Student Loan leave-behind
- Student Visa leave-behind
- Funding Graduate Education leave-behind
- Immigration leave-behind
We have provided sample letters to assist you as you prepare your funding requests and request meetings with your representatives.
[toggle title=”Driving from DCA”]
RONALD REAGAN WASHINGTON NATIONAL AIRPORT – DCA
Distance from DCA: 6.6 mile(s) SW
From Reagan National Airport, take US-1 ramp right (north) toward I-395 N/Washington/I-66 West.
Turn right onto US-1 North.
Merge onto I-395 N toward Washington. Turn right onto New York Ave NW/US-50.
Turn right onto Florida Ave NE.
Turn right on 2nd Street NE.
This hotel does not provide shuttle service.
Subway service, fee: 3 USD (one way)
Estimated taxi fare: 15 USD (one way)
[toggle title=”Driving from IAD”]
WASHINGTON DULLES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT – IAD
Distance from IAD: 29 mile(s) W
From Washington Dulles International Airport, take Dulles Airport access road East toward Washington .
Take exit VA 267 East.
Exit onto I-495 toward Baltimore/Bethesda MD.
Take exit #43 onto George Washington Memorial Parkway /Washington.
Take ramp onto I-395 N toward Washington.
Turn right on New York Ave NW.
Turn right on Florida Ave.
Turn right on 2nd street NE.
[toggle title=”Driving from BWI”]
BALTIMORE/WASHINGTON INTERNATIONAL THURGOOD MARSHALL AIRPORT – BWI
Distance to hotel: 30 mile(s) N
From Baltimore/Washington International Airport,
Exit I-195 West.
Exit #2B onto MD-295 South.
Exit US – 50 West.
Take a left on 1st Street NE.
Take a left on N street NE. Drive around the bend.
[/toggle][/tab] [tab title=”How to Prepare”]
To assist you in preparing for LAD, the training, and your congressional visits, here’s a list of things we recommend you do before arriving in DC.
Prepare your wardrobe
Dress code for LAD are as follows:
- Saturday & Sunday training: Business
- Monday & Tuesday Congressional visits: Business Professional
Familiarize yourself with our Advocacy Materials
- Review the Congressional leave-behinds found in the “Leave-Behinds” tab on this page
- Review the Talking points document (Coming Soon)
- Review the Prezi presentations (Coming Soon)
Think of Your Personal Experiences
Legislators love to hear personal stories about how issues affect their constituents. It is, often times, these personal testimonials that provide the impetus for our legislators to act. Therefore, although we will be providing you with talking points, facts, and figures on the issues you should also think about how some of these issues personally affect you and people you know.
Come with Questions
We want you to be as comfortable and prepared as possible. If there is a point of clarification you need on some of our issues or if you have a question about the process, schedule, or some other topic related to LAD or NAGPS, please don’t hesitate to ask. We will be prepared to assist.
** If you are having difficulty registering or accessing the tabs, please try opening the page in Firefox or Internet Explorer**